Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide. It strikes more than one third of the worlds population and it’s the cause of more than 20% of all deaths. Cancer is a cohort of diseases characterized by uncontrolled cell proliferation and ability to invade other tissues through direct cell migration or through the blood and lymph systems. More than 100 different types of cancer are known, usually are named by the organ/tissue or type of cell in which they start.
For example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer. A tumor is an extra mass of cells with abnormalities in their DNA. Tumors may be benign (not cancer), or malignant (cancer). Among many others, the causes of cancer might be tobacco smoke, infection, chemicals, radiation, environmental factors, and unhealthy diet .
Cancer is a cohort of disorders that involves transformation, dysregulation of apoptosis, uncontrolled cell proliferation, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis.
Extensive research during the last five decades has revealed much about the biology of cancer. Drugs used to treat most cancers are those that can block cell cycle, cell signaling, including growth factor signaling; inflammation, angiogenesis and others. Strikingly, herbal plant extracts and based drug, including those attributed to the
The Old Time Medicine were reported to mediate their effects by modulating several of these recently identified therapeutic pathways.The Old Time Medicine described most types of cancers known at their time and suggested several treatments based on their believe that cancer is a result of excess of burned black bile in the affected tissue. Therefore, they recommended evacuation of the organ from black bile by excessive vomiting and laxatives and using cold medications and food.
Furthermore, cancer classification, causes, pathogenesis and prevention; surgical removal of tumors; herbal remedies; dietary modifications; and spiritual treatments are also highlighted.
A variety of grains, cereals, nuts, soy products, olives, beverages such as tea and coffee, and spices including turmeric, garlic, ginger, black pepper, cumin and caraway confer a protective effect against cancer
Integration of tradition with modern experimental trails suppress or prevent pre-malignancy before the development of invasive cancer.
Several natural products, such as, grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables and medicinal plants confer protective effects against wide range of cancers. Since diet has an important role in the body health, dietary chemoprevention received attention in the treatment of diseases including cancer. Several plants as well as animal products among the foods can enjoy and benefit from their nutritional and health values. Among some of the foods mentioned in book are grapes, citrus, melon, squash, figs dates, honey, olive oil, and black seeds. Fiber, as well as potassium and vitamin B6. Fiber results in bulkier stools, which lessen the incidence of constipation, hemorrhoids and colon cancer.
Cancer treatment in the old time medicine :
Integration of tradition with modern experimental trails density lipoprotein) cholesterol levels and thus reduce cardiovascular disease risk.
Grapes and many other fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidant compounds called flavonoids. They're among the plant chemicals that have also shown potential against heart disease. Flavanoids as well as the whole blake grape (including seeds) were shown to inhibit key inzymes in the tumurgenic cell, thereby inducing apoptosis and or stoping their growth . In Rats, grape seeds extracts (proanthocyanidins) reduced the ulcerative colitis progress which is known to significantly increased risk of colorecl cancer.
A grand encyclopedia of country Old Time Wisdom , weather wisdom, country remedies and herbal cures, cleaning solutions, pest purges, firewood essentials, adobe making and bricklaying, leather working, plant dyes, farm foods, natural teas and tonics, granola, bread making, beer brewing and winemaking, jams and jellies, canning and preserving, sausage making and meat smoking, drying foods, down-home toys, papermaking, candle crafting, homemade soaps and shampoos, butter and cheese making, fishing and hunting secrets, and much more. Old Time Wisdom : Traditional Skills for Simple Living
Natural Healing Old Time Wisdom gathers useful and fascinating information on every practice of natural health and healing in one handy volume. This new edition, with a smaller trim, includes all the must-have information from the original edition including chapters on herbal healing, naturopathy, homeopathy, Eastern medicine, energy healing, mind-body healing, and healing with foods. Information within these chapters includes various methods and techniques for managing and curing hundreds of ailments, as well as for maintaining a healthy constitution year-round.
Palestinian Arum (Arum palaestinum): Arum is edible plant and is widely used
in cocking. According to a general survey conducted on 2008, Palestinian Arum is one of the most known as anti cancerous (especially colon cancer) plants in Palestine (Ali-Shtayeh et al., 2008). Moreover, Arum Plasetenum is also effective against internal bacterial infections, poisoning and circulatory system. However, the action mechanism of Palestinian Arum awaits further studies.
The wisdom of the past led to the discovery of chemopreventive drugs- The past medical literature is a valuable source of information which has the potential suggestions to the contemporary scientists. Several studies have revealed that
natural products exhibit an extensive spectrum of biological activities such as, stimulation of the immune system, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-hepatotoxic, antiulcer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-mutagenic, and anti-cancer effects .
Melon was among one of the fruits most often eaten . In fact, melon is one of the best recommendations for health has given us. Melon is one of the few fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C, Beta-Carotene, and potassium.
Garlic and onion (Allium sativum L. and Allium cepa): “although onion and garlic have a bad smell, they are cures for 70 different illnesses that cannot be cured by any other means”. Onion (Allium cepa) and garlic (Allium sativa) are closely-related vegetables that belong to the Allium class of bulb-shaped plants, which also includes chives, leeks, and scallions.
Garlic is used for flavoring in cooking and is unique because of its high sulfur content. In addition to sulfur, garlic also contains arginine, oligosaccharides, flavonoids and selenium, all of which may be beneficial to health (Milner, 1996). In fact onion and garlic are used in the treatment and prevention of a number of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, obesity, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes type 2 and hypertension. Scientific research on garlic started in the 19th century with the work of Louis Pasteur who in 1858 first noted antibacterial properties of garlic.
The association between consumption of Allium vegetables and risk for cancer has been first assessed in several epidemiologic studies, to show the protective effect of garlic and onion against cancer. For instance, death (attributed to stomach cancer) was 10 fold higher in a high risk area where the garlic consumption is less than 1g/day compare to the low risk area (20 g/day) . Similar studies in Netherlands had also attributed the low risk for colorectal, breast, and lung cancers to onion and garlic consumption.
Onion and garlic organosulfur compounds protective effect against carcinogenesis was also evaluated in animal models and in-vitro days prior to carcinogen challenge, those compounds inhibited pulmonary adenoma formation (Sparnins et al., 1988). Intravenous administration of the garlic active compound (diallyl trisulfide) significantly retarded the growth of orthotopically transplanted hepatoma in BALB/c nude mice . Those compounds had also halted the proliferation of cells from various cancer cell lines, including human, lung, skin and colon tumor cell lines, human neuroblastoma cells, human and murine melanoma cells, and human prostatic carcinoma cells.
Black seeds (Nigella sativa): Nigella sativa is one the most revered medicinal seeds in history. In civilizations around the world, herbal spice Nigella Sativa referred to (literally seeds of blessing ), Black seeds were regarded as a medicine for that cures all types of diseases. The famous Greek physician Dioscorides (40-90 AC) used black cumin seeds to treat headaches and toothaches. Nigella sativa seeds and oil extracts has been used widely for centuries to treat interruptions in the respiratory system, stomach, kidney and liver function, circulatory, the immune system as well as cancer.
"The black seed can heal every disease, except death". Avicenna refers to black seed in his ‘Canon of Medicine’, as the seed that stimulates the body's energy and helps recovery from fatigue and dispiritedness. In the Unani Tibb system of medicine, seeds are regarded as a valuable remedy for a number of diseases. The seed's oil has been used to treat skin conditions such as eczema and boils and to treat cold symptoms.
Pomegranate (Punica granatum): The pomegranate has long been used in traditional Greco-Arab and Islamic medicine to treat a variety of ailments, including sort throat, inflammation and rheumatism. The fruit is also used for
treating bladder disturbances, strengthening gums and soothing mouth ulcers.
Pomegranates feature prominently in all religions Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism and Zoroastrianism. According to the Bible, pomegranates grow in the gardens of paradise. Among the small number of fruits and vegetables mentioned in the Bible, (including date, olive, grape, banana, fig, cucumber, garlic, lentil and onion)
The pomegranate fruit has been used for centuries in ancient cultures for medicinal purposes.
For a long time, the fruit has been widely consumed fresh and, more recently, in beverage form as juice. Pomegranate is known as an anti- oxidant and is used to treat several diseases including cancer, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, bacterial infections and antibiotic resistance.
However, most of the research groups has focused on its antioxidant, antiinflammatory and anticarcinogenic properties.
It is now well documented that pomegranate is effective in treating prostate cancer.
In in-vitro experiments, Pomegranate fruit extract decrease proliferation and induced apoptosis of DU-145 prostate cancer cells and suppressed invasive potential of PC-3 cells. These effects may be associated with plant based antiinflammatory effects.
- Acacia (acacia nilotica)- vermifuge, eases diharea and internal bleeding, also used to treat skin diseases.
- Aloe vera – worms, relieves headaches, soothes chest pains, burns, ulcers and for skin disease and allergies.
- Basil (ocimum basilicum)- excellent for heart.
- Balsam Apple (malus sylvestris)or Apple of Jerusalem – laxative, skin allergies, soothes headaches, gums and teeth, for asthma, liver stimulant, weak digestion.
- Bayberry(Myrica cerifera) – stops diarrhea, soothes ulcers, shrinks hemorrhoids, repels flies.
- Belladonna – pain reliever;camphor tree – reduces fevers, soothes gums, soothes epilepsy.
- Caraway (Carum carvi; Umbelliferae)- soothes flatulence, digestive, breath freshener.
- Cardamom( Eletarria cardamomum; Zingiberacae)- Used as a spice in foods,digestive, soothes flatulence.
- Colchicum (Citrullus colocynthus) – also known as "Meadow Saffron", soothes rheumatism, reduces swelling.
- Common Juniper tree (Juniperis phonecia; Juniperus drupacea)- digestive, soothes chest pains, soothes stomach cramps.
- Cubeb pepper (Piper cubeba; Piperaceae)- urinary tract infections, larynx and throat infections, gum ulcers and infections, soothes headaches.
- Dill (Anethum graveolens)- soothes flatulence, relieves dyspepsia, laxative and diuretic properties.
- Fenugreek(Trigonella foenum-graecum) – respiratory disorders, cleanses the stomach, calms the liver, soothes pancreas, reduces swelling.
- Frankincense(Boswellia carterii) – throat and larynx infections, stops bleeding, cuts phlegm, asthma, stops vomiting.
- Garlic (Allium sativa) – gives vitality, soothes flatulence and aids digestion, mild laxative, shrinks hemorrhoids, rids body of "spirits" (note, during the building of the Pyramids, the workers were given garlic daily to give them the vitality and strength to carry on and perform well).
- Henna (Lawsomia inermis) – astringent, stops diarrhea, close open wounds (and used as a dye).
- Honey was widely used, a natural antibiotic and used to dress wounds and as a base for healing unguants, as was castor oil, coriander,beer and other foods.
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra – mild laxative, expels phlegm, soothes liver, pancreas and chest and respiratory problems.
- Mustard (Sinapis alba) – induces vomiting, relieves chest pains.
- Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) – stops diarrhea, relives headaches, soothes gums, toothaches and backaches.
- Onion (Allium cepa) – diuretic, induces perspiration, prevents colds, soothes sciatica, relieves pains and other cardiovascular problems.
- Parsley (Apium petroselinum) – diuretic.
- Mint (Mentha piperita) – soothes flatulence, aids digestion, stops vomiting, breath freshener.
- Sandalwood (Santallum albus) – aids digestion, stops diarrhea, soothes headaches and gout (used, of course, in incense).
- Sesame (Sesamum indicum)- soothes asthma.
- Tamarind (Tamarindus indica)- laxative.
- Thyme (Thymus/Thimbra) – pain reliever.
- Tumeric (Curcumae longa) – closes open wounds (also was used to dye skin and cloth).
- Poppy (papaver somniferum) – relieves insomnia, relieves headaches, anesthetic, soothes respiratory problems, deadens pain.
Herbs and other natural remedies can be as effective as traditional treatments, often without the same negative side effects," says Roberta Lee, MD, medical director of the Continuum Center for Health and Healing at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. Here are 10 super healers you'll want to add to the all-natural section of your medicine cabinet—and even to your favorite recipes. Folding one or two of them into your cooking every day can yield big benefits.Herbs and other natural remedies can be as effective as traditional treatments, often without the same negative side effects," says Roberta Lee, MD, medical director of the Continuum Center for Health and Healing at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. Here are 10 super healers you'll want to add to the all-natural section of your medicine cabinet—and even to your favorite recipes. Folding one or two of them into your cooking every day can yield big benefits.Herbs and other natural remedies can be as effective as traditional treatments, often without the same negative side effects," says Roberta Lee, MD, medical director of the Continuum Center for Health and Healing at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. Here are 10 super healers you'll want to add to the all-natural section of your medicine cabinet—and even to your favorite recipes. Folding one or two of them into your cooking every day can yield big benefits.